The countdown is on! We’ve spent the past couple months planning and gearing up for some big outreach during April which is National Donate Life Month!
As such, April is a nationwide effort devoted to calling attention to the crucial need for registered organ donors. As of March 13, 2009, the national transplant waiting list breaks down as follows:
• 78,874 patients waiting for a kidney transplant.
• 15,765 patients waiting for a liver transplant.
• 1,550 patients waiting for a pancreas transplant.
• 188 patients waiting for a pancreas islet cell.
• 2,266 patients waiting for a kidney-pancreas transplant.
• 215 patients waiting for an intestine transplant.
• 2,806 patients waiting for a heart transplant.
• 82 patients waiting for a heart-lung transplant.
• 1,987 patients waiting for a lung transplant.
• 101,277 TOTAL PATIENTS
What can we all do to help these patients?
A post earlier this month on the Source identified some easy actionable items to consider. Stay tuned in the next couple weeks as we’ll have some easy ways for anyone and everyone to get engaged in helping spread the word about organ/tissue donation.
In the meantime, feel free to comment with your ideas and suggestions below!